Our project started with Maggie having the idea to do it on quitting smoking due to her conversations with the woman that cleans her house, Donna. Maggie did most of the pre-production work on setting up the interviews while Mike and I focused on renting the equipment and setting it up.
Maggie did the actual interviewing while I ran the camera and Mike monitored the audio. The first interview we did was with Jordan Perry and the goal of that interview was to better understand what the actual new policies were on smoking on campus and to get the administrations point of view on the topic. While we did achieve this, we also got a pretty personal view of how the university is helping staff members quit smoking if they want to do so. In terms of lighting the interview, there was a large glass window behind the subject so we used that to our advantage as a backlight. We also used two kinoflos (with bulbs to match the outdoor light), one on either side of her face. The one on the left was the key light and the one on the right was bounced off the wall to act as a fill light.
For the second interview with Donna, we wanted to get a first hand perspective of quitting smoking. This interview ended up being a lot more emotional and engaging because she was speaking on a subject that she was going through. We used a similar lighting set up on this shot, but because the room was darker, it ended up seeming a lot more intimate than the first one.
In the editing process, it was nice to have a lot of coverage and we were able to bring together a cohesive story that also looked nice. At first I was unsure of how the interviews were going to fit together, but in the end they were able to almost seamlessly make sense together. Overall, working in a group made the process easier and allowed us to go more in depth to the subjects. It also simplified the editing process because we had three sets of eyes looking at the project instead of one.